Lady Fenwick was an important person in the history of the Saybrook Plantation. As the wife of English patentee Colonel George Fenwick, she came to Saybrook in 1639 and had two children, dying shortly after giving birth to the second. She was originally buried on “Tomb Hill”, which was located near the Pashabashauke Pavilion by the river until her remains were moved by town’s people to the Cypress Cemetery in 1870 to make way for railroad construction. When Colonel Fenwick returned to England with the children, he left Saybrook resident Matthew Griswold in charge of care of her tomb. Griswold’s descendants, responsible for the upkeep by the agreement, have contributed as recently as 2012 to the restoration of her tombstone.
2016 Lady Fenwick Ornament